Lighting Up: Candle Safety Tips
We are all OBSESSED with candles, and why wouldn’t we be? They are fun to make, look beautiful, and smell amazing!
But as much as we love candles we need to remember that we are – quite literally – playing with fire. Candles can be a safety-hazard and it’s important that we take steps to ensure that we enjoy our candles in a safe and responsible way. After all, with great power comes great responsibility!
Below are some candle safety tips so you can enjoy your candles while minimising the risk:
- Never leave a candle burning unattended. This may seem like a no-brainier but life can get hectic and sometimes things can slip our minds, so it’s worth the reminder!
- Never burn a candle on or close to anything flammable. We recommend burning your candle on a cool and even surface like a counter or a table, with a good distance from anything else
- Keep your candle away from children and pets. All it takes is your head to be turned for a second for a curious cat or a rambunctious infant to knock over your candle, creating a mess or potentially worse
HOW TO BURN YOUR CANDLE LIKE A PRO:
- Before burning, trim the wick to 1/8 of an inch. This will ensure a cleaner and move even burn and avoid issues with mushrooming, flaring, or dripping.
- Burn in a well ventilated room.
- Burn your candle on an even, stable, and heat-resistant surface.
- Never burn your candle for more than 3-4 hours at a time. It can be tempting, I know, but it’s not worth the risk!
- Keep the wax pool clear. Clear off any debris, wick trimmings, or matches
- Never touch or move the candle while it’s burning. Candles get really hot, trust me!
- Don’t burn the candle all the way down! Stop burning the candle before 1/2 inch of wax is left. If you burn the candle too far down you run the risk of overheating the jar and having it crack.
- Extinguish the candle if the flame becomes too high or if it flickers. Let it cool, trim the wick, and relight.
- Use a candle snuffer. Using a candle snuffer will prevent wax from splattering
- Never ever use water to put out a candle. Water can make the wax splatter
- Don’t leave the candle unattended until you are sure it has completely cooled. Make sure the candle is completely out and the wick ember is no longer glowing before leaving the room
Well there you have it! All the information you need for a cleaner and safer burn!